Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sleep Driving

I mainly work the midnight shift. I usually have no trouble staying awake all night, however this was not the case the other night. I was working a 16 (16 hour shift), and I had not had a chance to take a nap beforehand. I decided to go tuck away someplace for a while to take a nap. There is a place behind a local bank which is a great place to disappear for an hour or two if needed. Again, this is not an every night occurrence, but it does happen.

This is a common place for many who are working to take a quick power nap for a hour. There are two parking lots at this bank, each is visible by the other. The two are separated by just a thin row of trees.

So, the other night I crept into one of the lots to get a quick wink. A co-worker of mine was in the second lot doing the same. At some point during the night, something woke me...well...sort of. I'm not sure what it was, but I woke up, and for some reason decided I needed to move my car. I don't really know what possessed me to do this, but I started driving my car around the parking lot. I then back the car into a parking spot, then turned around and went back to where I originally was, and went back to my nap.

So I didn't actually realize I did this, until the morning, and I still had no idea why I did it. I was basically 'sleep driving'. Which is a safe activity.

That morning, I was talking to my co-worker, who was in the next lot. He said to me, "what was up with you\ and the sirens last night?" I asked him what he was talking about to which he answered, "at like 5 in the morning you turned on the sirens, that was you at the bank, wasn't it?" Yup, it was me....apparently when I was on my little joy ride through the parking lot, I decided to turn on the sirens. That a great way to keep a low profile.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My buddy who is a Illinois State Trooper told me about one of his tricks for napping. Take a post-it note and write where you are on it, then put it on the steering wheel. That way you don't have to try to remember where you are if you get woke up. :)